Sunday, October 21, 2012

THE SPOOL CLOCK





Another wonderful idea from Pinterest! The orignial inspiration was from Tiffany Ruda's Blog (Tiffanyruda.com) a link to her tutorial is HERE
I found my spool on the side of the road! My husband rolled his eyes when I asked him to "TURN AROUND!!!" Luckily we were in the truck and it wasn't a GIANT spool, it was a smaller one. I had been coveting Tiffany's clock for months and was always on the lookout for a wooden spool. I even asked for one for Christmas last year-but for some reason no one got it for me..Go Figure!
Anyway, to spool sat on the patio for a couple of months.  A couple of weeks ago I sweet talked my hubby into taking it apart for me. Last week I finally decided to tackle it! I pulled out my pressure washer and washed it down..let it dry for a day. 
After pressure washing-before the stain
For staining, I did a test on the back to determine how much/heavy I wanted to stain it. I wanted a darker color, but not too dark :) 
This is the back..you can see my stain testing on the top and right.

I went on a hunt for just the right numbers...I really wanted THESE, but they were too big and I don't have the patience to wait for an online order ;) So I got THESE.


I had my husband (an engineer) map out where the numbers should go. For  mathematically challenged people like me it's like cutting a pie into equal pieces.










The numbers had sticky tape on the back and that worked great on some of the numbers, but since the wood was uneven in places we used hot glue to fill and attach some of them...I made the mistake of letting my husband do that and he had glue everywhere! I had to go back and use the EXACT O blade to clean it up a bit..I didn't want it to look like a messy craft project.

I found the clock parts at Hobby Lobby. Michael's has them too. Bad thing is I forgot to take my coupon!! Oh well, again I'm impatient and just went ahead...the kit was $19.99 and came with the hands and the movement piece. Make sure you get the right size! With mine, I painted and distressed the hands satin nickle to match the numbers and other things in my home. I had my husband :) follow the directions on Tiffany Ruda's site to put the hands and movement onto the spool. Worked like a charm! Thanks Tiffany!








It's FINALLY DONE!...


We hung the clock using THIS. Love the French Cleat hangers for heavy items! It will make changing the battery easy too.

Now time to put the other things on the wall with it! It' won't be lonely for too long!






If you like this project, you may like these:





2 comments:

  1. WOW!! that looks gorgeous and I love how creative you guys are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I can't find the instructions on how to attach the movement to the spool. Help?

    ReplyDelete