Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Story of the Pinterest Curtains

Well, Pinterest has been a great inspiration for me these days. A couple of weeks ago we moved into our new home. I've pinned so many things on Pinterest that I couldn't wait to do in the new house I was overwhelmed. (I still am.)
My first order of business were the Great Room curtains/rod. In our home we have industrial style light fixtures in the kitchen/great room area. My sweetie helped pick them out and they are so neat. I was trying to find a way to work the decorating around the fixtures so I could embrace the industrial, but still keep things soft and traditional at the same time. Well, I came across a PIN on Pinterest that showed someone using galvanized pipes for curtain rods. YES!!! I said GALVANIZED PIPES! You know the silver colored pipes they use between your walls? It was so cool and I showed my hubby and he liked it too.
So off we went to the local home improvement store with both our moms in tow. (They were all in town visiting and seeing the new home.) My mom was a hoot trying to explain to hubby what kind of materials we would need. She was using her hands and talking loud. (She thinks if you say it louder a second time maybe he will understand) hehe. And his mom thinks we're crazy! ;) Well after being there for about an hour I think we had what we needed. So the next weekend we finally had time to put it together. It went together real well and turned out EXACTLY like I wanted.

Screws we used
Anchors we used...sorry for the upside down picture..







  
Above is the CENTER BRACKET using the galvanized pipe parts. We were able to find studs in the walls for all but one of the brackets. We used anchors in those.



Above are the left and right brackets. We made the mistake of putting them both up first, we realized you need to put the rod in one side FIRST, add the rings for the curtians THEN cap it off with the other side and screw it into the wall at that point.


NOW THE RESULTS!! There are so many ways to position them and I have my favorite, but won't tell which it is. :)
They ended up being a bit lower than we planned, but I like them anyway.



Well, that's the story of the Pinterest Curtains. Maybe there's hope for me yet! :)

1 comment: